Wednesday, August 3, 2011 | By: Jessica Verday

FLESH WHICH IS NOT FLESH - (Wicked Pretty Things Story)

I've spent a lot of time thinking about what to do with the story that was supposed to have been in the Wicked Pretty Things anthology. Support for my decision to not include my story has been overwhelmingly positive, and I'm so thankful to each and every one of you who took the time to email me or comment on the blog or Tweet about it.

I've had some generous offers from other authors, editors, and magazines to publish the story but nothing really felt right.

Then I received an email titled 'My Way to Show being Gay Really IS Okay' and I was instantly intrigued. Turns out, I had reason to be.

The email was from Lauren Becker, who helps run the site Let's Get Beyond Tolerance. It focuses on LGBT Entertainment for the YA set, and she was writing to let me know about an informal scholarship she was setting up for someone who is LGBT or an Ally and is doing something to make sure everyone is accepted, not just tolerated, called the Living Beyond Tolerance scholarship. People could start applying June 1 through November 30.

Right away I thought this was a great idea, but then Lauren told me her goal was at least $200 and she would personally pay the difference if that amount couldn't be reached.

That's what really stuck out to me here. Not only was she willing to coordinate the efforts for this scholarship (no small feat - check out the guidelines and ways to enter HERE), but she was going to make up the difference? This was what felt right. This was where I knew my story should go.

It took a lot of work but and I'm extremely grateful to be able to say that my short story FLESH WHICH IS NOT FLESH (Cameron and Wesley's story) is now available as an eBook on Amazon, and from now through August 31, 50% of the proceeds from this story will go to the Living Beyond Tolerance scholarship.

I'm hoping we can meet that $200 goal. Exceed it even. Perhaps $500? $1,000?






Get FLESH WHICH IS NOT FLESH here.

Click here for a sneak peek of FLESH WHICH IS NOT FLESH.

Don't have a Kindle? Download the Free Reader for your iPhone, PC, MAC, Blackberry, iPad, Android or Windows Phone 7: HERE

Also available for Nook readers! FLESH ON NOOK

15 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Thank you so much Jessica. This really means a lot to me, and I hope your story is successful for the scholarship and beyond. You stuck to your beliefs and that's beautiful. As for everyone else, definitely apply for the scholarship too!

Thanks!

-Lauren

Chen Yan Chang said...

Bought my copy :)

Jessica said...

I'd love to purchase it, especially for a noble cause, but sadly it doesn't seem to be available on B&N for my nook. Any plans to put it up there?

Joan said...

Ditto what Jessica said. I'd love to buy this for my nook as well!

Mad Gastronomer said...

Yes, please, put it up on B&N! Nook format isn't so DRM heavy, so it can be read on non-proprietary readers. I'd love to have it for my Sony Reader.

Risika said...

I believe my cute little nook would love to have this Novella on it.. So if you can get it available for the Nook it would be Awesome! :D Thank you Jessica! Can't wait to read it!

BookStalker said...

Just got it for my Kindle. I think this is a great idea.

Kaethe said...

Bought mine! I love that you're doing this, and why. Perfect.

Andrea said...

I would snap it up in an instant if only it was in any format other than .amz! .amz won't work on my Nook - or anything other than a Kindle, for that matter. :\

Any chance you can get it on BN.com also, for those of us without Kindles?

Stephanie said...

I too, am anxious to read it. But like other folks, I'd be a lot happier if it came out on Nook format as well, or on Lulu as a .pdf, or something like that.

I have no problems buying it off Amazon and reading it on my phone with their app, but I would love to be able to have it on my Nook as well.

Maria Lima said...

Brilliant! Have bought it and am boosting the signal via various social media sites.

Cheers!

A.K. said...

I need this for Nook. PLEASE!

Jen said...

I have just finished this excellent story. Wow, what an ending! And the story behind the story is just as powerful.

Thanks for sticking to your guns.

J. said...

Yay, I was keeping an eye on this in case a Nook version became available! Bought my copy~

Anonymous said...

I hope you continue writing as good as you do. I can't wait to read The Hidden! the other two were amazing. I wish a movie could came out of your books, it would be great. you are amazing keep it UP!!! :) <3